Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I want to be a runner!

I always have tons of things I want to blog about, but never seem to have the time. Anyway, here's the story of my first 5K race:

My official time was 46:48. Before the race I told myself that I wanted to finish in under 45 minutes, but I would settle for under 50 minutes. I guess that's exactly what I got. I hope to finish the next race (even though I don't know what that course is like yet) in under 45 definitely. The morning didn't start out great. It was like a comedy of errors.....

The Boyfriend and I got up early thinking that we were going to have a good breakfast so I'd have some decent fuel for the race. He was going to get up and make me pancakes and turkey sausage... but somehow we didn't end up having enough time. It was a sad state of affairs in my kitchen that morning. We ended up with 3 pancakes and that was it. So I inhaled them as we were running out the door (the Boyfriend let me have them all) and grabbed a bottle of Powerade. Then as we're about half a mile from home, I realize that I left my bib for the race at home so we have to turn around and get it (and we're already running a little late at this point). When we get back to my apartment I jump out of the car (and almost get accidentally hit by the car), run in and get my number and we're back on the road. We are on the way to the race and I'm sorting some music on my mp3 player to prepare for the race and we somehow pass up our exit on the highway... so we have to drive 5 miles up to the next exit, get off the highway, turn around, and get back on the highway. We made it to the race in time since we had planned on getting there early, but I arrived a bit flustered and aggravated.

As we were waiting for the race to start I was getting VERY nervous and kept thinking "I don't wanna do this anymore"... though I knew I would have to.

Then we were off......

It turned out to be much harder than I thought! I knew it would be hard... but I was still shocked. The worst part was it wasn't like I was so out of breath or my heart was racing... but that running on the pavement and the hills make my legs sooooo tired. I'd slow down and be ready to start running again, and as soon as my legs would hit the pavement my knee would hurt and my legs would feel instantly exhausted again. However, I pushed through. I didn't do as well as I hoped I would and I had to keep motivating myself in my head the whole time. (even thought of The Biggest Loser this past season and when they did that whole 26 mile marathon.) At least I finished. I can say I did it... and I can get ready for the next race. Mrs. B and I finished 1st and 2nd in our age group.... though we were the only ones in our age group. hahaha. But, I still got a medal for being 1 out of 2.

I started a "5K Wall" above my desk at home. Mrs. B and I are aiming to do 1 5K race every month from now until October. So, hopefully by the end of this year my wall will be full and I will be able to really, truly run. I want to be a runner. I never thought I would be able to even come close to being one... and now I feel like it could be in my near future.


Tiffany said...

Wow, what a disastrous morning. Sounds like you did well anyway. Congrats~

What a great idea to do one 5K a month. You'll be able to fully run in no time.